Accelerated Rehabilitation Counseling Master’s Program

You can save time and money by starting work toward your MS in Rehabilitation Counseling while you’re still a UMass Boston undergraduate!

This master’s program that will position you to support people with disabilities to lead fulfilling lives, including finding work in their communities.

Download the Rehabilitation Counseling Student Handbook.

On this accelerated track, you’ll take rehabilitation counseling master’s-level courses as your electives in your junior and senior years. With careful planning, this allows you to leave UMass Boston with a BA and an MS after a total of 5 years.

Who’s eligible?

UMass Boston undergraduate students in the following programs and tracks are encouraged to apply for the accelerated rehabilitation counseling master's program:

Honors College (all majors)

College of Liberal Arts with the following majors:

  • Human Services
  • Psychology
  • Social Psychology
  • Sociology
  • Criminal Justice

Applications are also welcome from other programs and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

What requirements will I fulfill?

Here is a course plan illustrating how you can combine rehabilitation counseling MS coursework with the requirements of your undergraduate degree and major:

Year 1: 30 credits (10 undergraduate courses – five each semester)

Year 2: 30 credits (10 undergraduate courses – five each semester)

Year 3: 30 credits (10 undergraduate courses – five each semester)

Year 3 summer: 6 graduate credits (REHAB 614, 616)

Year 4: 30 credits (6 undergraduate and 4 graduate courses; two graduate courses each semester: REHAB 602, 603, 610, 615)

Year 4 summer: 9 graduate credits (3 graduate classes including the practicum [COU 605], COU 613, and REHAB 688)

Year 5: 24 credits including internships (REHAB 609, 611, 612, 698 and COU 608, 620, 674)

Year 5 summer: 9 credits (COU 653, 610, elective)

Total undergraduate credits: 102
Total graduate credits: 60

How do practicum and internships work?

Learn about fieldwork requirements here.

Download the Fieldwork Handbook.

How do I apply?

Submit the following to the Office of Graduate Admissions:

  • Completed graduate application form
  • Cover letter indicating which concentration you would like to pursue
  • Official transcript with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher for all undergraduate courses
  • 3 letters of recommendation
  • An essay stating personal objectives and career aspirations
  • 1 or more examples of written work from a course

GRE scores are not required for this accelerated bachelor's-to-master’s degree program.

What is the deadline to apply?

Applications to begin graduate coursework in the summer (preferred admission date) are due February 1. Students can also apply by May 1 for Fall admission or by December 1 for Spring admission.


Email Program Director Dr. Dimity Peter to learn more about the accelerated rehabilitation counseling MS.

School for Global Inclusion and Social Development
in the College of Education and Human Development